All Petitions and Appeals must be submitted to the Council electronically at [email protected].
What types of petitions and appeals can the Council hear?
The Council uses the term “petition or appeal” in relation to:
- The A.R.S. § 41-1008(G) Petition for an alternative expiration date for fees established or increased by exempt rulemaking;
- The A.R.S. § 41-1033(E) Appeal of an agency’s decision on a petition requesting the making of a final rule or a review of an existing agency practice or substantive policy statement that the petitioner alleges to constitute a rule;
- The A.R.S. § 41-1033(F) Petition to request a review of a final rule based on a person's belief that a final rule does not meet the requirements prescribed in A.R.S. § 41-1030;
- The A.R.S. § 41-1033(G) Petition to request a review of an existing agency practice, substantive policy statement, final rule, or regulatory licensing requirement that is not specifically authorized by statute pursuant to Title 32 based on the person's belief that the existing agency practice, substantive policy statement, final rule or reuglatory licensing requirement is unduly burdensome or is not demonstrated to be necessary to specifically fulfill a public health, safety or welfare concern;
- The A.R.S. § 41-1052(B) Early Review Petition;
- The A.R.S. § 41-1055(E) Petition for a determination that an agency is not required to file an economic, small business, and consumer impact statement;
- The A.R.S. § 41-1056(M) Petition to require an agency that has an obsolete rule to consider including the rule in a five-year review report with a recommendation for repeal of the rule;
- The A.R.S. § 41-1056(N) Petition to require an agency to consider including a recommendation for reducing a licensing time frame in a five-year review report;
- The A.R.S. § 41-1056.01(D) Appeal related to the economic, small business, and consumer impact of a rule; and
- The A.R.S. § 41-1081(F) Appeal of a delegation agreement.
What needs to be included in a petition or appeal?
A petition or appeal submitted to the Council must contain, at a minimum:
- The name, mailing address, e-mail address, and telephone number of the person filing the petition or appeal;
- The name of the person being represented by the person filing the petition or appeal, if applicable;
- The reasons for submitting the petition or appeal, including relevant facts, laws, and statutory authority;
- The reasons why the Council should grant the petition or appeal; and
- Any supporting documents relevant to the petition or appeal.
- The petition or appeal shall not exceed five double-spaced pages and shall be in a clear and legible typeface.
For more details, please contact Council Staff at (602) 542-2058 or at [email protected].